Saturday 29 December 2012

How to build an antenna switch

the bands are full of competitions today so I gave up after a few seconds.

not my thing at all.

so, as I'm planning a second antenna, a Windom off centre fed dipole, to get 80m and improve 40, I'm going to need a switch, right?

so after extensive research......

OK, I asked on the QRZ.com Homebrew & kit projects forum....

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?371010-can-I-use-mains-light-switches-for-coax-switch

so, those smart folks say that it's OK to use a mains light switch to direct the RF.....

so, first I need a metal case.....

it's been on top of the kitchen cabinet for a year, so it won't be missed by my very understanding XYL

mark it out.....

and drill a few holes.....


a dremel tidies the holes and the used sockets I got off ebay are attached...

then the switch....

its a 3 gang 2 way switch.....

so I reckon I can feed one line in, then the first gang directs the signal to one or the other of the remaining switches, giving 4 outputs.;.....


so, from the input socket to switch 1 then from the 4 outputs of switch 2 & 3 to the 4 sockets on the lid.....  I know the metal case should carry the ground, but I put a wire on as belt & braces..... (no flash... sorry!)


then, all assembled and testing for continuity......





so now that I know it switches as I had intended, I can mark on the switches so I know what goes where.....


and a rear view for the input




as Master Yoda would say..... pleased with this I am!!


Now to get the antenna sorted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment