Tuesday 5 March 2013

antennae.

I've currently got 3 for HF

a half size G5RV, a long wire and a slinky spring dipole.

my big problem is I don't have a lot of space.

looking from above, my G5RV is at 90 degrees or so. the long wire runs along 3 sides of my garden.  and the slinky is snuggled up under the eves at the end of the house.

Currently my HF set is a FT 101B with 10, 11, 15, 20, 40, 80 & 160m

10m is OK when it's open

11m doesn't get used at all.

15m I've made 1 QSO on....

20m is by far my best band and I spend the vast majority of my time there.

40m is grand but nowhere near as good as 20

80m has static at s9 or higher ALL the time.  I've made less than 10 QSOs there.

there is SOMETHING wrong with 160m  Maybe the crystal, maybe a loose solder joint in there.....

so.

the PLAN is to pull the crystal for 11m and swap it for 12.  I've had a very generous offer from another ham to send me a crystal free oc charge, so I'm a happy bunny on that.

Is 80 worth the hassle?

probably not.

so I'm considering the possibility of having another go at a windom.

I reckon I can fit one that will work up to 40m along the side of the house.

Probably initially instead of the slinky which frankly is as much use as a piece of wet string.

I'll keep you informed!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment